McCarron, Mountaineers topple Hawks

The Saint Joseph’s women’s soccer dropped their second game of the year tonight, falling 2-1 at home against Mount St. Mary’s.

Lupinski's goal was not enough for the Hawks. (Photo by Greg Carroccio, '02)

Lupinski's goal was not enough for the Hawks. (Photo by Greg Carroccio, '02)

The win was the first of the year for Mountaineers (1-3-0), who entered the game goalless on the season. But sophomore attacker Mary McCarron made sure the Mount didn’t leave Philadelphia that way, scoring both goals, including an impressive left-footed volley in the 60th minute that would prove to be the game-winner.

“We beat a quality opponent on their field tonight,” said Mountaineers’ head coach Tom Gosselin. “We played with heart, had our back up against it early, but we fought back and put away our opportunities. We were lucky to come out of here with a win.”

In addition to McCarron, one of the heroes of the night was the Mount’s goalkeeper Alicia Miller, who made eight big saves and was active in thwarting a number of scoring opportunities by the Hawks.

The Hawks (1-2-0) enjoyed a quick start to the game, and surged ahead on in the 25th minute thanks to Maggie Lupinski, ’12, latching on to a through ball from Carly Salter, ’11. The goal is her second of the season.

Lupinski’s goal was one of several quality chances the Hawks had early on, but some poor first touches in the final third of the pitch and an inability to run off center forward Jen Pfeiffer, ’12, left most of their attacks forward unfulfilled. The Hawks had six corners on the night, and got good service from the Lauren Sawyer, ’10, on the wing, but were unable to get enough on those passes to seriously trouble Miller.

They were made to rue those lost chances in the 3oth minute, when the Mount ratcheted up the pressure and finally broke through with McCarron’s first tally. After a scramble in front, McCarron pounced on the loose ball and let go a shot that St. Joe’s keeper Christine Neal should have kept out.

“The problem tonight was that we didn’t have our focus and we got caught looking past an opponent,” said St. Joe’s head coach Jess Reynolds, who received a yellow card on the bench for protesting referees’ decisions. “The last three games, we had chances to put away, and we haven’t.”

The Hawks came out of the halftime interval attacking once again, but chances from Pfeiffer and Danielle DeBernardo, ’10, went just wide. Then McCarron struck again, largely against the run of play, volleying a neat Emily Menotti pass across the face of goal and into the top right corner of the cage.

The Hawks had other chances to breach the Mount defense in the game’s last 10 minutes, but Lupinski’s first touch failed her twice—once inside the six-yard box—while a Steph Lawall, ’12, free kick bounced around the box before being cleared. The score line could have been worse for the Hawks had Sarah O’Malley, ’10, not cleared a long-distance effort by Jenna Stern off the line with Neal caught out in the 90th minute.

“When you play defense with heart, and move around and don’t just watch, good things happen,” said Gosselin of his back line. “Alicia was exceptional. We changed our lineup and played a lot of new personnel, and they responded.”

St. Joe’s returns to action on Sunday, Sept. 6 with a trip to Delaware.

-Matthew De George ’10

Leave a comment

Filed under St. Joe's Sports

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s